Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Beginning of the End

It must have been almost 2 weeks ago when I was walking quickly down the sidewalk at a local outdoor mall, and caught a surprising glance of myself in a store front window. I had thought that I was getting pretty good at "sucking in my gut", but apparently, I was living in some kind of dream world! The sight I was met with was appalling, and just enough to jerk me back into the reality that it was time to step away from the Coke and Oreos, and regain some control of my eating habits!

As I started to reflect on my behaviors in an effort to develop a game plan, I was met with the following shocking, and disgusting, truths:

1. I routinely knock back a solid 32-64 ounces of sugar laden Coca Cola.....DAILY.
2. My favorite go-to breakfast is Oreos....with Coke.
3. Two weeks ago, I actually ate an entire 4 pack of Cinnabons....by myself....in 36 hours.
4. Vegetables are something that I only eat when my husband is watching.
5. The last time I had a piece of fruit was so long ago that there is absolutely no reason that I am not afflicted with scurvy.
6. I had my second child exactly 7 and 1/2 months ago, and have yet to drop ONE SINGLE OUNCE of baby weight.
7. And perhaps the most astonishing? Below is a picture of me from 6 years ago. 6. That's right. 6. Many of you didn't know me then, but there it is.


Now lest any of you think that I am living in a fantasy, I know that post thyroid disease, 2 babies, and a serious Coke addiction, I will NEVER be in a size 2 again. But really? Can't I get back to a 6 even with effort?????

So this is where the story turns to the plan. Now, we have all tried, and failed, at an endless list of diets, pills, drinks, and fads in an attempt to lose weight. I am way past that. This time, I consulted with nutritionist Karen Hurd (www.karenhurd.com), in an effort to develop a new pattern of living. Hopefully, with her help, I can get back to what I know "good" feels like. The diet goes a little something like this:
__________________________________________________________________________
No List
(these things will worsen your condition and should be eliminated)

Sweets (cakes, pies, cookies, doughnuts, candy, ice cream, jello, pudding, muffins, sweetened breads [pumpkin bread, zucchini bread] etc.)

Natural sweeteners (honey, jam, jelly, syrup [even 100% pure maple syrup], molasses, etc.)

Artificial and “natural-artificial” sweeteners (Splenda, Stevia, Sweet N Low, Equal, Nutrasweet, aspartame, xyitol, mannitol, agave nectar, etc.)

Sweetened beverages (lemonade, Koolaid, hot chocolate, punch, Gatorade, etc.)

Sodas (diet or regular, caffeine free or not)

Fruit juice

Fruit

Caffeine (coffee; black, green, orange pekoe teas; Anacin, Excedrin, etc.). This includes decaffeinated beverages.

Dairy (milk, cheese, butter, cottage cheese, yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, buttermilk, etc.)

Fragrances or perfumes (this includes scented laundry products, soaps, shampoos, scented candles, aroma therapy, etc.)

Saturated Fats (fatty meats [bacon, sausage, bratwurst, hotdogs, etc.], deep fried foods, fried chips, butter, margarine, cheese, sour cream, etc.)

Gum (regular or artificially sweetened)

Tea (of any kind, even if it’s herbal)

Starches (bread, rice, noodles, potatoes, cereal, crackers, chips, pretzels, corn, popcorn, grains)

B-Complex

Alcohol




Do List
(these things will improve your condition and are required to be accomplished daily)

Eat a palm-size portion of lean efficient protein at every breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Efficient proteins are: eggs, meat (beef, pork, venison, lamb, buffalo, elk, rabbit, etc.), poultry (chicken, turkey, pheasant, dove, duck, goose, etc.), fish (of any kind), seafood.

Eat 1/3 cup of legumes 3 separate times in the day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). Legumes are beans such as pinto, kidney, garbanzo, Great Northern, navy, lentils, limas, black, brown, white, red, black-eyed peas, yellow-eyed peas, pigeon peas, green split peas, yellow split peas, refried beans [without the added lard], hummus (ground chick peas), etc.

Eat 5-7 servings of vegetables daily with your meals or snacks. (Remember that corn is not a vegetable.) One serving = 1/3 cup, unless it is salad, then one serving = 1 cup. The vegetables can be raw, steamed or cooked. They can come from cans or the frozen state. Consider tomatoes a vegetable.

Drink ½ gallon of water daily. The water must be purified.
1 quart is 32 fluid ounces, ½ gallon is 64 fluid ounces, ¾ gallon is 96 fluid ounces

Sleep/rest 8 hours in a twenty-four hour period or a total of 56__ per week. The hours do not have to be consecutive.




Allowed List
(these things will neither worsen or improve your condition and are allowed ONLY if the do list is being accomplished everyday)

Nuts, seeds, and their butters (i.e. peanuts and peanut butter, almonds, and almond butter, etc.)

Soy products (tofu, tempeh, miso, soy nuts, unsweetened soy milk, etc.)

Condiments (mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, salsa, tartar sauce, salad dressings, pickles, olives, etc.)

Lemon and limes

Carbonated water that has natural flavors but no sweeteners

Oils (olive, canola, peanut, etc.) except palm kernel oil (i.e. coconut oil)

Unsweetened almond milk
_________________________________________________________________________

There you have it. Here's hoping the money I spent on the consultation and meal plan are worth it. Here's hoping I can muster up some will power and stay away from the junk I tend to love. And here's hoping that those of you reading this blog will keep me accountable....prayerfully and otherwise. This is where I will vent when the only thing I want is a huge bowl of ice cream. Read often, comment more. Keep me going!

So....now the grossly embarrassing part.....

If I am really going to do this....really....I need to put it all out there. So here goes....

I am starting this off on Sunday, August 7th, at 5'2'' tall, and weighing in at 157.4 pounds. The ultimate goal is to get back down to 130 pounds.

Now you know. I am off to choke down another 12 ounces of water before I fall into bed, and attempt to shake this caffeine deprivation headache that I have going.

Going forward, I am planning to post pictures and recipes of meals that have been created, with the ever loving support and culinary expertise of my husband (who still looks like he did 6 years ago...no, 10 years ago, by the way), as well as updates regarding progress, conversations with said nutritionist, workouts, and just plain hungry venting. No pressure to enjoy, just read!

Since I posted a pic of myself skinny, here is a current one....or at least the only one I am brave enough to post.



The irony of this pic, is that it was taken today, on the first day of my journey, and my child is posing with a Reese's in her mouth. I would really have liked to rip it out and devour it during the taking of this photo. I restrained. No children were harmed during the shoot.

4 comments:

  1. oh, Heather! I will be praying for you! :) I loved your posts today, though - you make me laugh out loud!!! more than once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your "one bean at a time" motto in your profile description. I admire your resolve and can't wait to watch you drop those pounds! Maybe it will end up inspiring me to join you... though I can't imagine giving up dairy quite yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No cheese? And a serving of veggies is only a third of a cup? We need to talk if she's revised her diet!
    I'm really proud of you, Heather. I'm hoping that your resolve will strengthen my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure how many of my modifications are as a result of thyroid issues, so our diets may be a bit different. She also originally told me 1/2 cup servings of beans, but then she looked at my height and said that 1/3 cup was enough. Maybe more is based on height and weight for the ratios?

    ReplyDelete