Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chickpea Flour

One of my favorite fall treats has got to be pumpkin bread....make that bread, cake, bars, muffins, coffee....really anything. This is a really hard one to let go of this year. I have searched high and low for recipes that I can adapt to "sort of" meet my restrictions, and it is next to impossible. I did purchase Karen Hurd's Book "The Bean Queen's Cookbook" which included a recipe for pumpkin muffins using chickpea flour, and they. were. TERRIBLE! Total waste of the $12 it cost to buy the chickpea flour and xanthan gum.

This failure makes me feel very apprehensive about trying the yeast bread with chickpea flour. Any suggestions you may have on recipes that could be adapted to keep one of my favorite fall treats on the radar would be most appreciated!!

Sigh. Back to the drawing board.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh. Sorry your 1st chickpea flour experience was yucky. I make these muffins which I really like: ( http://rachels-ramblings-2.blogspot.com/2011/07/gluten-free-muffins.html ) I wonder if you could play with the recipe and substitute pumpkin for part or all of the banana?

    Also, I found this recipe this week for Pumpkin Apple Bread that I was thinking about trying this fall.( http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Pumpkin_apple-Bread_-Gluten_free-Recipezaar ) It does have a bit of oats & tapioca flour - don't know if you can have those. Let me know what you think if you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did make Pioneer Woman's pumpkin muffins tonight using almond flour, and they were amazing! Thanks for the suggestions....I will definitely check then out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I enjoy those muffins. I never thought about making them with almond flour. Did you alter the recipe in other ways or just sub. the flour?

    ReplyDelete